Time Commitment: Approximately 8 – 12 days per year
Start Date: December 2023/January 2024
Location: Hybrid (London or Oxford for in person)
Earthwatch Europe is an environmental charity with science at its heart.
Our planet – and all life on it – is facing unprecedented challenges. Climate change and loss of biodiversity threaten our very existence and the beauty of the world as we know it.
Science has identified the causes of these challenges, and science is essential if we’re to face and solve them.
We connect people with the natural world, monitor the health of our natural resources, and help people take action to have a positive impact.
We work together with scientists, businesses, civil society and policy-makers to drive the change we need to live within our means and in balance with nature.
What we do
- Enable action
- Educate future generations
- Advance citizen science
- Help companies to transform
We are driven by people - We always show humanity in our bid to save humanity.
We are powered by science - We champion findings collected by people at the grassroots to spark change in our neighbourhoods and at the highest levels of government.
We connect with nature - With smiles on our faces, we inspire people to get out into nature, have fun, discover what we all stand to lose, and take action.
We fight for our planet - From planting tiny forests to protecting the world’s freshwater habitats, our evidence-based solutions are the seeds of our planet’s survival.
About the role
We are looking to hire more trustees because:
(1) Several of the current trustees will be ending their 9-year tenure as trustees in 2024 and we are looking to replace and augment their skills and experience in advance of their departure;
(2) As part of the roll-out of our new strategy we are looking to further expand the diversity of our trustees' skills, experience and networks particularly linked to engaging younger people and people from less advantaged and underrepresented communities on environmental issues.
We would love to hear from you if you have the following skills, attributes and capabilities:
- A background in science and policy and/or sustainability in the corporate sector background
- High-level of financial expertise, including some understanding in charity finance
- An understanding of nature in urban areas and biodiversity
- An understanding of environmental law
- Experience of engaging with less advantaged/underrepresented communities on environmental issues
- Experience in Marketing, communications and branding
- Connectivity to and understanding of reaching youthful audiences
The Earthwatch Board of Trustees is responsible for our leadership and governance, and for overseeing our strategy and direction.
Combining diverse backgrounds, they are ambassadors for our organisation, furthering our mission by setting strategic priorities for our work.
- To formulate and review Earthwatch Europe’s vision, values and long-term strategy as well as policies for their fulfilment, with the help of the Chief Executive
- To hold themselves accountable to Earthwatch Europe’s stakeholders for the Board’s decisions, the performance of the Board and the performance of Earthwatch Europe and its subsidiaries
- To attend Board meetings, scrutinise Board papers, challenge constructively and contribute to the Board discussions and accept collegiate decisions
- To set and agree targets and evaluate performance against them
- To oversee the management of Earthwatch Europe and its assets in the interest of current, potential and future beneficiaries
- To ensure that Earthwatch Europe complies with its governing document (ie its articles of association), charity law, company law, the Earthwatch licence and other relevant legislation or regulations
- To exercise financial controls in order to ensure the financial stability of Earthwatch Europe
- To effectively horizon scanning and identify emerging trends
To find out more about this role and how to apply, please click on the following link to review the candidate pack:
Earthwatch - Trustees - Recruitment Pack
The closing date for applications is Sunday 1st October 2023 at 23.59hrs
If you would like to discuss the role before applying, please feel free to contact Rebecca from Diversifying Group at Rebecca@diversifying.com
Earthwatch is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from people from all sections of the community. We would like to encourage applicants from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds and those with disabilities.
Accessibility and Adjustments
We are committed to providing reasonable adjustments throughout our recruitment process and we will always endeavour to be as accommodating as possible. If you would like to discuss any specific requirements, please contact Rebecca Davy at firstname.lastname@example.org