Head of Legal - Cancer Research UK
Head of Legal (Family leave– 12 Months FTC)
Salary: £80,000 - £95,000 per annum
Department: Chief Operating Office
Contract: 12 Month FTC
Hours: Full time 35 hours per week (Flexible working)
Location: Stratford, LondonOffice-based with high flexibility (1-2 days per week in the office)
Closing date: 26th March
This vacancy may close earlier if a high volume of applications are received or once a suitable candidate is found
At Cancer Research UK, we exist to beat cancer.
We are professionals with purpose, beating cancer every day. But we need to go much further and much faster. That’s why we’re looking for someone talented, someone determined, someone like you.
We’re looking for an experienced Head of Legal and pragmatic commercial lawyer to join us as Head of Legal within our Chief Operating Office directorate. In this role you will provide leadership of the CRUK Legal team, ensuring the efficient and effective delivery of first-class legal advice to support delivery of CRUK’s strategy. You’ll act as a key interface with senior stakeholders, providing legal support for complex and strategically important work, and as a key member of the General Counsel & Company Secretary Leadership team, you’ll also contribute to the development and delivery of strategy, taking an active role in operational planning and helping to shape, drive and deliver the Governance, Risk and Compliance agenda for the organisation.
You’ll have excellent knowledge of company and contract law as well as experience of delivering business change programmes. You’ll also have the ability to build effective relationships and influence at all levels, including board level, and you’ll be experienced in successfully leading and motivating a team.
In a supportive working environment, you’ll discover something new every day, whether it’s a new connection, a new method of engagement or a talent you never knew you had. You’ll also be surrounded by people who are as dedicated to beating cancer as you are.
What will I be doing?
- Provide leadership of the Legal team ensuring that legal advice and support is provided in the most effective and efficient manner to support delivery of CRUK’s strategy.
- Together with the General Counsel & Company Secretary, develop and maintain strong and effective relationships with external law firms to support and supplement the team to support the strategy.
- Work across the General Counsel & Company Secretary team to ensure that key legal and regulatory risks are appropriately managed.
- Support the delivery of cross-organisational governance, risk and compliance programmes.
- Keep abreast of any potential or planned changes to the legal or regulatory requirements that may affect CRUK and manage the cross-organisational horizon scanning tracker.
- Work across the General Counsel & Company Secretary team to ensure that appropriate systems and processes are in place, and working effectively, to support good governance and compliance at CRUK.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of each of the directorates across the organisation and proactively build and manage an effective network of relationships acting as a key interface for the Legal team with senior stakeholders (with the exception of R&I).
- Own and manage the legal team budget, taking responsibility for budgeting, tracking and reviewing whilst seeking opportunities to drive efficiency and greater value.
What skills are you looking for?
- Experienced Head of Legal commercial lawyer with significant experience of leading a high-performing Legal Team and advising on a broad range of complex commercial transactions including acting as lead lawyer.
- Experience in delivering business change programmes and a proven history of delivering strategic change and legal systems and process implementation.
- Excellent knowledge of company and contract law, intellectual property, advertising & marketing law, and data protection.
- Able to lead and motivate a team, build and strengthen capability and manage performance.
- Able to build effective relationships and persuade and influence at all levels up to and including board level.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey complex legal information in simple terms and manage multiple stakeholder demands providing customer focused, pragmatic legal advice.
- A strategic thinker with the ability to develop and execute strategy; and contribute to broader strategy development.
- A proven track record of identifying and exploiting opportunities for continued improvement.
- Developed analytical and problem-solving skills to resolve complex problems which meet current and future needs of the organisation.
- Excellent planning, organisational and project management skills.
- Experience of delivering business change programmes.
- Excellent drafting skills and experience of drafting complex agreements.
What will I gain?
Each and every one of our employees contributes to our progress and is supporting our work to beat cancer. We think that’s impressive.
In return, we make sure you are supported by a generous benefits package, a wide range of career and personal development opportunities and high-quality tools, policies and processes to enable you to do your job well.
Our benefits package includes a substantial retirement plan, a generous and flexible leave allowance, discounts on anything from travel to technology, gym membership, and much more.
We don’t forget people have lives outside of work too and so we actively encourage a flexible working culture.
Our work – from funding cutting-edge research to developing public policy – will change the world. It’s exciting to be part of our team.
How do I apply?
We operate an anonymised shortlisting process in our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion. CVs are required for all applications; but we won’t be able to view them until we invite you for an interview. Instead, we ask you to complete the work history section of the online application form for us to be able to assess you quickly, fairly and objectively.
For more information on this career opportunity please click the Apply button
For more updates on our work and careers, follow us on: Linked In, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
There’s a place for everyone at Cancer Research UK. Our vision is to create a charity where everyone feels like they belong, benefits from and participates in, the work we do. We're committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential.
We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures, in particular those from ethnic minority backgrounds who are currently under-represented, and believe that a diverse workforce will help us to beat cancer sooner.
If you’re interested in applying and excited about working with us but are unsure if you have the right skills and experience we’d still love to hear from you. We don’t expect everyone to meet all of the criteria listed.
We want to see every candidate performing at their best throughout the job application process, interview process and whilst at work. We therefore ask you to inform us of any concerns you have or any adjustments you might need to enable this to happen by emailing us at email@example.com.
Unfortunately, we are unable to recruit anyone below the age of 18, so that we can protect young people from health & safety and safeguarding risks.
About Diversifying Leadership
Diversifying Leadership is a careers platform dedicated to increasing diversity and representation in management and leadership.
Diversifying Leadership exists under the umbrella of Diversifying Jobs, part of Diversifying Group – a Diversity and Inclusion Services organisation.
Diversifying Group (formerly BAME Recruitment) provide a blend of Talent Attraction, Executive Search, Recruitment Marketing, Events, Training and Consultancy Services to support organisations on their journey to inclusive working.
Already working at Diversifying Leadership?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.